Thursday, February 15, 2018

F*ck Love

This one was something I first saw on a Facebook ad, but then someone was raving about it. I already have another book by this author in my to-read pile so I bought this one impulsively, and I'm sure glad I did.

F*ck Love - Tarryn Fisher
Helena Conway has fallen in love.

Unwillingly. Unwittingly.
But not unprovoked.
Kit Isley is everything she’s not—unstructured, untethered,
and not even a little bit careful.
It could all be so beautiful … if he wasn’t dating her best friend.
Helena must defy her heart, do the right thing, and think of others.
Until she doesn’t.

The first chapter of this book does not do the rest of the book justice which is odd because the entire book is based on the dream she had, which is the first chapter. I wanted so much more out of that dream, but I guess we get what we get so let's not throw a fit. Helena finds herself having a dream of her life in the future and she has a Pottery Barn-esque home, she has two kids, and she has a husband... who happens to be her best friend's current boyfriend. Which is weird, because that's definitely against all girl code, right?

Well since the dream Helena starts seeing Kit differently. She changes up her life because her dream said she'd be really great at art so she starts taking art classes, trying to push her life towards the dream. Nothing is ever that easy though, so when she waffles, Kit is angry and wants her to pursue him, make her love known. Then when he waffles, that's what Helena wants Kit to do. It's a constant push and pull through the whole book and you almost get annoyed like, shit or get off the pot, folks! But a baby gets involved and everything has bigger consequences, so do they make it? Does true love really win out?

Here's what I loved, the humor. My god, this is my kind of author. Helena's character takes selfies for everything and on page 45 we read:

"I groan. Suddenly, I need to throw up again. Instead, I take a selfie. My hair is globbed up on one side of my head, and there is mascara streaking down my face. I put the photo in an album called Mortifying Emotional Moments, and I title it Soggy Napkin Note."

HA!

Another excerpt I liked and I think I texted it to at least 4 friends telling them they need this book is on page 59:

"There are definite, solid lines in life that should never be crossed. Developing a crush on your best friend's boyfriend is one of them. Showing up to his job frequently and drinking his fruity cocktails is another. I don't like him as much as Kentucky Fried Chicken, but hell if that boy didn't look at me and tell me I was pretty...excellent."

I also would rate guys based on food. Are they worth sharing my nachos or pizza? No? Keep it moving, fella.

Another reason I love this book? One of the characters suffers from an Amniotic Fluid Embolism during the birth of her baby, and SO DID I. I just about peed myself from excitement because it's a real thing and I'm thrilled to pieces to see if mentioned in a book.

Things I didn't love about the book is hands down Della. She was the WORST and I hated her more and more by the end. I almost wish there was some kind of epic show down between the three of them at the very end, and epilogue even. Something. Muslim's character was oddly thrown in here and I guess he's a character from another book who just happens to make an appearance but I hadn't read that book so him as a character was odd and confusing. I almost want a book just on him because he's kind of bizarre and scary.

Overall? I'm giving this one 5 stars. I know, I don't do it often, but it's warranted because this made me want to buy everything from Tarryn Fisher, and I couldn't put it down. It's a fun read.
   

No comments: